From Around the Web
- Renata Salecl: Our unhealthy obsession with choice – An interesting Ted talk about how, in today’s day and age, we face an endless amount of choice which leads to anxiety, guilt, feelings on inadequacy and fear that we are making the wrong decisions. (H/T: Trent Hamm @ The Simple Dollar)
- We Bought House #5. Here’s a Behind-the-Scenes Look — Including the Numbers. – Paula from Afford Anything has added rental property #5 to her portfolio (and it was only $46,000!).
- How to Almost Go Bankrupt 10 Times and Emerge as a $30 Million Dollar Company – An interesting read about perseverance as 10 brushes with bankruptcy were all part of the journey to a $30 million dollar company.
- “Don’t let life randomly kick you into the adult you don’t want to become.” ~Commander Chris Hadfield – An awesome cartoon by Zen Pencils.
- No Nation Has Lowered Obesity Rate in 33 Years – A scary article about how nearly 30% of the world’s population is overweight or obese and how, in the past 33 years, no a single nation has lowered their obesity rate. I have lost 46.5 pounds since April 1st through eating right and exercising. The hardest part is making the initial commitment. If you have been wanting to lose weight then be sure to check out the next link on how you can finally take that first step.
- Finally! How to Start… Anything – A great (and very simple) trick on how to finally get started.
On the Blog
- Sunday Bridge Building: Volume I – The first volume of the newly formatted weekly roundup post.
- Why I Ditched The Personal Finance Gurus (and What I Read Instead) – A very popular post by Melanie about how she broke up with personal finance heavyweights like Dave Ramsey and Suze Orman and why you should too. Plus, the short list of personal finance blogs that I read.
- Why Minimalism Makes Financial Sense – Stefanie share he views on accumulation of, and actual value of, all the stuff we fill our homes and lives with.
- 5 Highlights From Travel Hacking My Way To World Domination Summit 2014 – I dusted off the keyboard to share proof on how I saved $2,645.88 by travel hacking my way to Porland for WDS 2014, my top 5 highlights from WDS and how you can do 2 simple things to travel hack your way to Porland for The World Domination Summit in 2015. Another bonus highlight, now that I think of it, would be how much fun I had Bollywood dancing at the closing party (seriously).
Blast From the Past
A look back through the VOSA archives.
- 5 Ways To Save Money On Travel & How To Potentially Travel For Free – Traveling the world for free thanks to travel hacking and large credit card signup bonuses has to be one of the best feelings (trust me, your wallet agrees!). That being said, there are more ways to save money on travel and this post covers 5 of them.
Tools of the Trade
My Dad has always told me “it’s all about having the right tools.”
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus World MasterCard – Right now you can earn $400 worth of free travel when you spend $3,000 in the first 90 days as a new Arrival Plus World MasterCard member. Currently, this is my favorite credit card for travel hacking as you can use the $400 for any travel related expenses anytime you want. If you don’t think you’ll be able to spend $3,000 in 90 days to earn your travel point bonus, be sure to read this article on how to meet the minimum spending requirements.
Photo Credit: Brian Sterling