I have always enjoyed reading various people’s round up posts that share the best things that they’ve come across lately.
I’ve also always enjoyed reading monthly updates that fellow bloggers use as an accountability tool and to share high level updates with their readers.
I started off sharing a monthly update here at VOSA but the format just never felt right to me. I quickly abandoned these updates but I never abandoned the idea.
Recently I noticed that one of my favorite bloggers, Chris Guillebeau started sharing a roundup style post that he calls “6 Discoveries From Near and Far“. After reading the first two volumes, the format that he uses really started to resonate with me. It’s quick, simple and to the point.
I’ve decide to adopt Chris’ format for a weekly roundup post that will be going out each and every Sunday that will provide you some bridges to cross so you can find other great content around the web.
Let’s get started…
From Around the Web
- 6 Discoveries From Near and Far, Volume III – The third volume of the roundup post that this post is based upon. If you’re not familiar with Chris Guillebeau, start here and be sure to save the date for World Domination Summit 2015.
- How We Set A World Record: World’s Longest Yoga Chain – You may have noticed I recently updated my bio on twitter to include the title “world record holder”. This article is all about The Great Namaste, which was the event where I participated alongside 807 other sexy yogis to set the world record for longest yoga chain. Bonus points if you can pick me out of the crowd in the first picture in the post.
- Financial And Life Lessons My Puppy Has Taught Me – Joshua Rodriguez shares a the lessons learned by having a puppy in your life.
- Abandon Shopping Cart: 17 Online Retailers Who’ll Bait You Back with a Coupon – Always good to know which companies will send you a coupon just for abandoning their cart. This trick is probably worth trying on any purchase that you don’t need right away.
- The Holy Grail of Travel – Which square of traveler to do you fit into? Which do you want to fit into?
- Newsflash: Giving Up Will NOT Help You Find a Job – I really like this post as the concept applies to so much more than just finding a job.
On the Blog
- Seeing the Caribbean with Southwest’s New International Fares – If you’re paying full price for your travel, you’re doing it wrong. This article shows you how you can visit the Caribbean with the combination of travel hacking and Southwest’s newest international destinations.
- Why “We Can’t Afford It” Is Not The Best Answer (and iPad Mini Giveaway) – Shannon Ryan, from The Heavy Purse, just released a book called The Lemonade Stand that is meant to help you raise financially confident kids. If you have kiddos, definitely check it out.
- Our Debt Problem Is Way More Complex Than You Think – This articles goes into just how complex, and out of control, the debt problem really is. Read about how college tuition has gone up more than 500%, medical expenses and gasoline are up more than 300% and finally an answer to “Which came first? The chicken or the egg?”
- 4 Ways To Become A Successful Freelancer – In 2013, Michelle’s online business was growing faster than ever. After a quick pros and cons list, she quit her job and went to work for herself full time. In this article, she share 4 great tips to become have a successful freelance career.
Blast From the Past
A look back through the VOSA archives.
- How Your Credit Score Can Act Like A School Yard Bully – Your credit score affects your finances in almost every way. From getting a mortgage to being able to churning credit cards, a low credit score can act like a bully that torments you for years and years. Click here to find out your credit score for free.
Tools of the Trade
My Dad has always told me “it’s all about having the right tools.”
- Audble.com – audiobooks have been my secret to reading so many books. I discovered audible while living and working in Europe in 2007 when I had an hour long commute (by choice) to and from work that consisted of walking, taking a train and riding a bike. I listen to audiobooks while driving, working out, working and even just relaxing on a zero gravity chair on my deck. I highly recommend snagging a free copy of The Art of Non-Conformity or The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau.