All programs have their pros and cons, but I tend to favor these two programs because it is so easy to earn points and, more importantly, redeem them.
With all that being said, I recently signed both my husband and myself up for the U.S. Airways Premier World MasterCard.
Confused? Let me explain…
First of all, you may already know that American Airlines and U.S. Airways are in the midst of a merger. This situation has been nothing but good news, at least in my eyes, since it opened up a ton of new ways to redeem American Airline miles.
But, let’s be honest, that’s not why I got the card.
U.S. Airways Premier World MasterCard
First, let’s talk about how the deal works. I started by signing up for the U.S. Airways Premier World MasterCard and receiving it in the mail. Then I used it at the store. Once. That was it.
Shortly after that, 40,000 Dividend miles showed up in my U.S. Airways account.
That’s how easy it was.
Also keep in mind that, in addition to the bonus, I earned 2 points/$1 spent at U.S. Airways and 1 point/$1 spent on everything else. The only caveat: The $89 annual fee is not waived the first year.
Why I Think the U.S. Airways Premier World MasterCard is Worth It
Even though I think the 40,000 Dividend mile offer is good on its own, I signed up for the card because the U.S. Airways Dividend miles will turn into American Airline miles after the merger.
In other words, I basically paid $89 for 40,000 American Airline miles.
To put things in perspective, 40,000 AA miles (which I got for $89) is enough to book a round-trip flight from the U.S. to Europe during off-peak season.
Prices vary, but a flight from New York City to Paris, for example, can cost upwards of $1,500, making my $89 donation a relative steal.
However, I still think the card is a no-brainer, even for people who plan to use the Dividend miles in their current form. But, what does 40,000 Dividend miles get you? Here are a few possibilities:
- A round-trip flight in coach within the continental U.S.
- A round-trip flight between the U.S. and the Caribbean during low season
- A round-trip flight between the U.S., Alaska, or Canada during low season
- A round-trip flight between North America and Hawaii during low season
You can browse other options on the U.S. Airways award redemption chart by clicking here.
But free flights isn’t the only perk that comes with this card. U.S. Airways Premier cardholders also get their first checked bag free for themselves and up to four companions. And with the average cost to check a bag running at around $25, a family of four can easily save $100/trip with that perk alone.
The card also comes with one companion certificate good for up to 2 guests to travel with you on a US Airways operated flight at $99 each, plus taxes and fees- a benefit that can come in handy once you’ve exhausted your miles.
The Bottom Line
The U.S. Airways Premier World MasterCard with 40,000 miles after your first purchase is an excellent deal for anyone who wants to score a free flight. And, if you love American Airlines like I do, it is just another way to boost your AA point balance.
In other words, it’s a no-brainer. Click here to sign up today.
Have you signed up for the U.S. Airways Premier World MasterCard yet? If so, what will you do with the points?
About The Author: Holly is a wife, mother of two, and frugal lifestyle enthusiast. She is the co-founder of Club Thrifty and a staff writer at Get Rich Slowly and Frugal Travel Guy. Check out more of her super awesome skills at clubthrifty.com. If you’re interested in writing for Vosa contact us here.
Afterword From Brent
I literally have “sign up for a US Airways Premier MasterCard“ on my to do list for this week.
The $89 annual fee might sound steep but, the amazing thing about this card is that, all you have to do to earn the 40,000 bonus miles is use the card once. It doesn’t get any easier than that.
Instead of looking at this cost as “an $89 annual fee”, look at it as “a round-trip flight to Europe for $89” which is what those 40,000 can be used for. Now, please try to tell me again that the $89 annual fee is too much to pay to earn these dividend miles. I didn’t think so. 🙂
FAQ: What If I Have Credit Card Debt I’m Trying To Pay Down Before Using Credit Cards Again?
The U.S. Airways Premiere World MasterCard is actually a great travel hacking credit card for people who are already carrying credit card debt for two reasons:
1. The card comes with a 0% introductory APR for 15 months on balance transfers made in the first 45 days of card membership. If you currently have credit card debt that is NOT 0%, then you should sign up for this card, do a balance transfer and work as hard as you can to pay off all of the debt in the next 15 months while you enjoy the 0% introductory APR. This can, potentially, save you thousands of dollars worth of interest charges.
2. You do not need to worry about meeting a minimum spending requirement to earn the 40,000 bonus miles. You can literally use this card to purchase a pack of gum at 7-11 and, like magic, your Dividend Miles account will earn 40,000 reward miles. The #1 thing you need to do to get out of debt is stop making more debt. This credit card allows you to take advantage of this awesome travel hacking signup bonus while NOT being tempted to overspend just to meet a minimum spending requirement.
As Holly said, signing up for the US Airways Premier World MasterCard is a no brainer. Don’t put it off, click here to sign up today.