October is one of my favorite months of the year. Although I absolutely love spring and summer there is something that just draws me to fall.
I love the feel of the crisp cooling air and I love the beauty of the changing colours. It also signifies the return of NHL hockey season which I’m always excited for.
This year, October was a very busy month for me outside of work and VOSA. I had an out of town wedding to attend and then I went on a two week vacation to San Diego, Califronia (I know, poor me) which didn’t leave much time for working on my business ventures.
I did managed to work around some of the travel and vacation fun to accomplish some of my October goals but all in all October was a fairly quiet month on the work front.
What I do love knowing is that the automated systems I have in place continue to function even in my “absence”. My savings goals were met, my tenants were well taken care of thanks to my professional property managers and my investment strategies continued to play out.
This is the beauty of focusing on passive income opportunities which are, typically, the only opportunities I focus on these days. Now, I’ll be the first to admit that finding, starting, building and scaling these so-called-passive-income opportunities is anything but passive. That being said, once you have your systems set up and in place they should continue to operate with or without your daily presence and involvement.
I haven’t talked much about my real estate ventures here on VOSA yet, but as I mentioned in the 14th way I have made extra money, I do have a portfolio of income properties that I do not manage myself that generates a passive income stream. I do have an entire series of articles planned that I will first share with VOSA Insiders so be sure to sign up.
October VOSA Articles
Here are the new articles that were published on VOSA during the month of October. I hope you enjoyed them and maybe even found a few new ways to save more money and make extra cash as well!
- 7 Ways To Make More Time For Yourself and Your Side Business
- How I’ve Lost 14 Pounds Through Habit & Gamification and How This Relates To Personal Finance
- Kids Are Expensive, But High Quality Kids Programming Doesn’t Have To Be
- 15 Things I’ve Sold To Make Money & How You Can Too
Great Articles From Around The Web
Here are just a few of the articles I enjoyed reading this past month.
- Young and Employed, but Still Short of Money? You Need a Side Hustle – I enjoyed this article because it talks about something I think everyone should have… a side hustle where they can make extra income.
- Emergency Fund: Time To “Man Up” – A good article on the importance of an emergency fund. I recommend you automate your savings to reach their emergency fund goals.
- Finance Lessons from a Dog – We can learn so much from our pets if we let ourselves. Plus, I loved the statement “NO DUTY, NO TREAT!“
- Do I Need a Buyer’s Agent? – An excellent article about one of my favorite topics: buying real estate. I shared a few times when having a buyer’s agent can benefit you in the comment I left. Let me know if you agree or disagree.
- Empire Today – Do They Make The Grade? – I found this article when I was searching for information on the cost to replace carpet because I had some really dirty carpet that, I thought, needed to be replaced. This article is a great review of Grayson’s experience with Empire Today (which was not good). Based on this I decided I would try to clean my carpets rather than replace them and I was able to clean the carpets back to their former glory saving me thousands of dollars! Thanks Grayson! I’m working on a post about this since I was able to save thousands of dollars by cleaning the carpets rather than replacing them. Stay tuned for that article.
What about you? What did you accomplish in October? What do you have planned for September? Do you have any good articles related to personal finance that you want to share with myself and the VOSA readers? If so, please leave a comment below. Thanks!